Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Why One Little Mantle Holds So Much Meaning

Have I mentioned I love Fall? 

Mainly, it's because I can buy candy corn in bulk. (Yes, I'm aware how horrifically awful it is for me. If loving candy corn is wrong, I don't want to be right.)

In other news, I also love pumpkins, pumpkins spice latte, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie. . .  You get the picture. 

From October through December, I actually take time to decorate my house.  It's just something about the changing of seasons around here, when the temperature drops from 95 to 85 degrees . . . 

Good ol' Alabama. 



This quick, easy centerpiece costs under $15.  Found the pumpkins, gourds, and the wheat at Publix for around $7 total. Used some vases from around the house. The pumpkin was a Hobby Lobby clearance find.  


I love that I have a mantle to play around with during the holiday season.  This is my first home ever that has had a fireplace, and though it isn't used much, (thanks again, Alabama), I enjoy the idea of it. 

I printed off the "Thankful" letter pennants from Pinterest last fall and never got around to doing anything with them.  I didn't like the stark white pennant, so I found some unused scrapbook paper and made my own pennants.  The rest of the items on the mantle were things around my house that I took from other rooms.  (Because let's face it, nobody's hanging out in our master bathroom if they come to visit!)








If you know our family personally or have been following the blog for long, you know that this past summer was a really hard season for us.  From being diagnosed with Lyme, to some unexpected circumstances with J-man's foster situation, to simply adjusting to life with three boys, we were tired physically, emotionally, and spiritually. 

That's why I'm so excited to have this Thankful banner hanging up in our house.  I spend most of my time in the room where it hangs, so I get a visual reminder of all of the BLESSINGS that have come despite the hardships over the past few months. 

As we head into the fall season, I want to be intentional about taking time daily to celebrate the small and grand gifts we have been given. 

Here is why I love this year's mantle so very much - Right below the beautiful, coordinated fall display is the messy, colorful, and very tangible reminder of two of our greatest gifts. 



My house is rarely clean and the floors are constantly cluttered.  But I am THANKFUL because this "mess" means that we have been blessed with what we prayed for so many years. . . our boys. 

For the month of October, it's my goal to celebrate the places, people, and things that God has provided in my life.  My "hope" is to document it daily.  

What are YOU thankful for today? 


3 comments:

  1. I am thankful for people (like you) who have incredible writing talent... oh and for waterproof eyeliner and mascara......I need it almost every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful, Leslie! I especially loved the pulled back shot. It brought tears to my eyes.

    And continuing my secret belief that we are secretly sisters from another life (I grew up on fishsticks too!) I bought those same pumpkins on sale from Hobby Lobby.

    ReplyDelete