Sunday, October 6, 2013

Days 5 and 6: Friendships

As a girl coming out of college, you're taking one of two routes; marry your sweetheart and settle into the twenties as a partnership or head into adulthood as a single girl on your own.

I took the latter route, and headed south to Atlanta the month after I graduated from college.  I was twenty-one and knew five people who lived in the entire state - and they were my relatives.

I landed a teaching job and connected with a pretty big church in the area that had a large population of other people in same stage of life.  The friends I made in this season of life became a family to me.  I was 700 miles away from my parents and learning to navigate through life on my own for the very first time.

These women have been a staple in my life for the past decade and a half.  We've been through first jobs, first dates (too many), and first apartments together.  Many a late night was spent bonding over cookie dough while rehashing stories from our crazy dates and escapades. 

We've cried with and for each other, laughed often (mostly about our bad first dates), comforted when things were rough and confronted when someone was out of line. These girls have walked with me through some of the most difficult seasons of my life and they've been there to celebrate the momentous occasions as well.

Lately, our time together is scarce, due to miles, work, and families.  Yet, their role in my life has remained constant. Today, I'm thankful for best friends who have known the "me," before I became a wife and a mom. 

Thank you, my blond, Georgia beauties, for continuing to encourage my dreams, for making me snort water through my nose from laughing, and for keeping me from buying a pair a mom jeans.  I miss you daily.  

And so grateful for a husband who understands the value of letting me have time away with my girls. Not every man is willing to handle two little boys under the age of two by himself for a few days. 


















Thankful for the girls who have helped shaped who I am today. Not only this group of amazing women, but the core groups girlfriends that I have been blessed to have kept through high school and college. 


High School girlfriends


College girlfriends

So much to be thankful for today! 




No comments:

Post a Comment