Five things I never thought would happen and did in 2011.
1. I was a part of launching, ONEfamily, our adoption/foster/orphan care ministry at our church. I had planned on just helping out with the ministry once someone started it. I certainly wasn't going to start it because that was really going to cut into my schedule and I'm not someone who "starts" things. I just help once the vision has been planted. Well, God had another plan and it involved me jumping in and really getting my hands dirty to help start the ministry....and I love it. So excited to be a part of a ministry that God is using to shake-up the way the families in our church look at caring for the orphan. So thankful for a church that is receptive to it!
2. We added another
3. I never thought we would already be through 2011 and still be without a referral of our little ones from the DRC. When we received our immigration approval in June, I thought for sure we'd have a referral by September. If not September, then surely by Christmas........ And still we wait. It's hard at times, as we long to see their face. However, number #4 on this list has definitely helped us focus on enjoying what we have in front of us...
4. Which is our sweet, eight-week old foster baby, "J". I never imagined we'd be foster parents. In fact, I actually said out loud, "I could never be a foster parent." AND.....that sealed the deal....anytime I say "never" to something, it's a 250% guarantee I'll being doing it in the future. Though I never could have imagined this is the path we'd be on, I wouldn't change a thing!
5. I blogged. A lot. 65 posts, in fact. What started as a once-in-a-while blog to update our long-distance families on the adoption has turned into so much more. Which is weird. But I like it. Thanks for reading my very opinionated thoughts, my bloggy friends. I hope to get to meet some of you in the real world one day.
Five Things I'm Looking Forward to in 2012.
1. Continuing to not work out. Let's face it. I hate running and getting really sweaty. I'm just not an attractive sweater-er. I really have tried to enjoy working-out, but I don't. I attempt to work out consistently once a year and it lasts 1-3 months, on average. So, I'm not going to try and act like I'm going to work out. Instead, I will cheer on my friends who run 5 marathons a year while pregnant and hit the gym daily at 5am.
2. Getting to see our child's picture for the first time when we get the referral. Can't WAIT!
3. Getting the privilege of watching our little man, "J,"grow and change as a baby. We love being able to be his parents for the "right now."
4. Walking alongside more of our church family as they become foster and adoptive families. We had thirteen families complete the fall foster care training class with us and fifteen more families interested in taking the classes this spring!
5. Seeing what adventure God has us on next. It's been a non-stop roller-coaster ride the past two and a half years with Brian as we have grown together and in our walk with the Lord. I could never have imagined where we would be today, so I won't even try to predict where God will have us by the end of 2012. What I do know is I'm excited to see where we go as a family this next year!